Monday, September 15, 2008

Writing Intervention


Each year my kindergarten student's come to school with varying degrees of writing experience. There are usually several who don't know how to hold a pencil or how to write their names. My strategy for help is to give the students multiple textures for writing practice in addition to pencil and paper practice. My favorite handwriting activity sheets can be custom made on http://handwritingworksheets.com/.

My technique is to have students use their first and middle finger together to trace their names in salt. I pour enough salt in a pie pan to cover the bottom of the pan. Glitter can be added as an extra touch. Do not use sugar in place of salt. I also use this 2 finger tracing technique on fabric and corrugated card board. Research shows that using 2 fingers to trace helps the brain connect with the motion.

No comments: